Today we’re taking another close look at my very first medieval islamic inspired embroidery project – the OvO pouch for Gloria, my dear mother-in-law.
The path which starts with the initial inspiration and finally leads to the finished project is not always easy. Sometimes one has to follow a quite difficult way and get rid of one obstacle after another. And yes, this project was one of those not quite so easy ones and sent me on an interesting journey…
But let’s talk about the project first. When I took on this project, I was already aware that it wouldn’t be a simple task for me. Being so close to the recipient – Gloria, my beloved mother-in-law – made this embroidery project easier but also much more difficult at the same time.
Yeah, this quite special piece of medieval islamic inspired embroidery was the super secret project on which I was working on from the first day of January until our favorite SCA event – Gulf Wars – in March. And at Gulf Wars Gloria finally got introduced into the Order of the velvet Owl. Just right before the knighting ceremony of her son, my dear husband. And not a moment too soon as keeping this project secret was killing me… 😉
Woohoo! I am working on a super secret project at the moment! 😀
…and though I can’t really share any information or progress pictures concerning the new project until it’s finished and the recipient got it, you really don’t need to worry that I might take a break from posting until the project is finished. On the contrary! I took so many pictures of my recent embroidery and sewing projects that I can keep you quite busy until I can finally reveal my new, super secret project. 🙂
It’s time again for some embroidery. The focus of todays posting will be on some red silk embroidery and a tiny embroidered pelican.
I hope you are just as excited as I am. Today I am going to show you the technique which I used to embroider the red embellishment along the border of the middle part of the roses. And that’s not all – I also have a sneak peek at the little, very cute pelican which I added to the middle of one of the roses. 😀 Continue reading →
It took some time but today I finally have my third part of my rose embroidery tutorial ready for you. Todays posting will show you how I used Surface Couching to embroider the central section of the roses for my friends 14th century hood. 😀
But before we get to the embroidery tutorial, I would like to write a little about the last days and weeks as they were quite a journey for me. As some of you might recall from my recent postings, I was taking one test after another to qualify for my GED diploma. And though all these tests drained me mentally, I am excited to tell that all the hard work and concentration finally worked out. I managed to pass all my tests with a good or excellent score and should receive my GED diploma per mail within the next two weeks. Continue reading →
Though the rose embroidery for my friends 14th century hood might appear quite simple at first sight, it is definitely much more complex than it looks like. Well, there is quite some work involved to make it appear so simple, proper and effortless.
Well, what a great coincidence as I just managed to finish the third rose for her hood! …and not only that, I already started working on the fourth rose! 😀
Despite the small set-back due to the work on my arming coat and a knighting scroll for a friend, I never ceased to dedicate every spare minute to the embroidery for my friends 14th century hood project.
After adding all the eyelets and buttonholes, I took a look at my finished arming coat. Well, what shall I say – it looked nice but also very plain and boring! And I definitely don’t like to look plain or boring in my new arming coat!
Therefore I decided to extend my work at the arming coat project by adding some nice embellishment. And the easiest way for me to add some “bling” is to add some embroidery! Well, why not, some embroidery will definitely not hurt my arming coat… 😉