Well, I admit it, whenever I face a sewing or embroidery related problem, I tend to turn to my quite extensive book collection and take a look through my beloved books. In many cases one of my books offers a very good solution for my problem.
Most of the basic 12th century neckline styles – like a simple round or keyhole neckline – don’t really require any extra strengthening. Due to their lack of real stress points (round neckline) or because their only stress points get exposed to a little bit of extra tension from time to time (keyhole neckline), it is not really necessary to take extra action…
In my most recent postings I showed you my period inspiration for my husbands 12th century neckline as well as how the finished neckline looks like. And today I will tell you how to spot the stress points of your own neckline before I show you how to strengthen and secure them in my next posting.
In order to prevent problems like ripping fabric at the stress points of your neckline, I need to give you some more information about how to find the stress points of your 12th century neckline first so you can determine and strengthen them:
Well, it took a while and quite some thinking but eventually I figured the cut out and made a good fitting 12th century neckline. This part of the 12th century tunic project was definitely not easy as I also wanted to incorporate a tablet woven band I made myself. Unfortunately tablet woven bands only stretch little and make it therefore not easy to be applied along round edges… Continue reading →
And today let’s take a further look at the 12th century tunic I made for my husband last winter and especially its 12th century neckline inspired by the “blue Dalmatika” and the “white Alba”.
I already started to post about this 12th century tunic project several weeks ago but somehow I got a little bit sidetracked after the last posting. It seems like my brain acts like a squirrel at times as I can get easily distracted. Sometimes it can be a hard task for me to keep track of all my projects as there are so many – future, current and already finished ones…
However, postponed is definitely not abandoned. I am picking up the thread right were I dropped it with a posting about my inspiration for the 12th century neckline for my husbands tunic. 🙂 Continue reading →
My last posting included information about how I chose the fabric and where I found the inspiration for the final shape for my banner project. Furthermore I also wrote about how I attached the embroidery to the surface and how I prepared the final shape of the banner…
During the last days I was busy working at some calligraphy projects but I also did some hand-sewing and finished a good part of the sleeves for my very new 12th century dress project.
While packing for the big Gulf Wars event in Mississippi, I decided that I definitely have to enlarge my own as well as my husbands 12th century wardrobe by several new pieces as soon as I come back. This should ensure that my husband and I will have enough clothing for the next long war. Continue reading →
Now, that the pre-war stress, which normally comes along with the preparations for a huge event like Gulf Wars, is finally fading away, I find myself with enough peace and time again to catch up with my pre-war projects like this three “last minute” 12th century dresses.
Well, to be a little bit more exact – I hand-sewed a new purple 12th century overdress (the one on the left) as well as two new underdresses with Trapunto necklines and Trapunto cuffs before Gulf Wars. Continue reading →
Please enter your e-mail address. You will receive a new password via e-mail.