After several days of drawing and re-drawing, I am finally able to present to you a new addition to my pattern collection – the (late) 12th century tunic pattern which I have been using so successfully for my husbands tunic projects till now:
Well, I admit it, my 12th century tunic pattern is actually based on a tunic found in a royal grave from the early 13th century. Though it can’t be said for sure, my personal opinion is that this pattern can also be counted towards the late 12th century. Due to my love for the 12th century, I decided to count this tunic pattern towards to the late 12th century rather than the early 13th century.
Today I have good news for the fans of my Klosterstich wall hanging – I finally found the time to prepare my Klosterstich wall hanging project documentation and to upload it to the blog!
Well, it is said that when one door closes, another one opens. And though I am still not able to prepare photos on my beloved Acer Iconia tablet due to a broken charger and the waiting time until my new one arrives, I still have plenty to post about for which I don’t need my tablet. I simply needed to reconsider what I can post about without using my tablet.
Yes, you read it right, todays posting is about “how to imitate a woven band for bottom embellishment” (of a tunic).
I guess that many of you never expected that I would say this one time, but sometimes special projects will come along for which a very simple embroidered embellishment can actually be the best choice. Especially when you decide to decorate a garment without taking the focus off of the main “star” – which in this case happens to be the tablet woven band I used for the neckline and the cuffs.
But before we take a closer look at my take on “how to imitate a woven band” with embroidery, I would like to share a thought about the connection of imitation and embroidery with you…
Well, I am normally not a big fan of new years resolutions but I decided to post more often and also more about my mundane life in the future. And instead of going for short wall posts on my facebook page I thought it might actually be helpful to express my thoughts here in a far more complex way… I hope it might make it easier for me to write and post in English as I am still not completely comfortable with it, though my husband ensures me that my English is getting better and has actually already improved a lot.
After the last weeks of extraordinary warm and pleasing temperatures, the winter finally reached our southern part of Kentucky and covered everything with a beautiful layer of snow. Well, as I don’t need to drive anyway, I find it quite beautiful though some of my friends might find it quite annoying – especially on their way to and from work… However, please drive careful!
After adding the tablet woven band to the cuffs of my husbands new grey light-wool 12th century tunic, I took on the bottom hem of the tunic and finished it by using the rather simple “rolled hem” technique.
Ok, I admit it – just using the rolled hem technique for the bottom hem seemed a little bit too simple and easy. Therefore I added a little bit of a twist to my rolled hem – literally… *lol*
Cuffs, Cuffs, Cuffs and tablet woven band… 😀
Let’s talk about the cuffs for my husbands christmas present today – a 12th century tunic made from lovely grey light weight wool.
Though I didn’t embroider the cuffs for my sweethearts 12th century tunic, they are still quite special for me as I decorated them with some tablet woven band I made myself – or well, I made about half of it to be precise… *lol*
And it is actually the second tablet woven band I ever made. You might even remember the band – I posted about it in May of 2014: “My new tablet weaving loom & my 2nd try of weaving with tablets ”
I hope you all enjoyed a beautiful christmas with family and friends
and wish you a happy new year!
And today I have some pictures of my new 14th century cyclas / sideless surcote with the completed “Meridian Cross” appliqué work for you.
I still didn’t find the time to put on my new 14th century cyclas / sideless surcote and to take pictures of me wearing it but I can assure you that I didn’t forget about it and that it is still on my to-do-list.
And today I finally have some news for you about my most recent project – a grey light-wool 12th century tunic which I just finished some days ago.
This new 12th century tunic is a christmas gift for my husband. As he already had to try on the tunic for the neck-fitting and also has seen the completed tunic, there is not much surprise left which could be spoiled anymore.