During the last days I was busy working at some calligraphy projects but I also did some hand-sewing and finished a good part of the sleeves for my very new 12th century dress project.
While packing for the big Gulf Wars event in Mississippi, I decided that I definitely have to enlarge my own as well as my husbands 12th century wardrobe by several new pieces as soon as I come back. This should ensure that my husband and I will have enough clothing for the next long war.
Now, that the pre-war stress, which normally comes along with the preparations for a huge event like Gulf Wars, is finally fading away, I find myself with enough peace and time again to catch up with my pre-war projects like this three “last minute” 12th century dresses.
Well, to be a little bit more exact – I hand-sewed a new purple 12th century overdress (the one on the left) as well as two new underdresses with Trapunto necklines and Trapunto cuffs before Gulf Wars.
After several days of drawing and re-drawing, I am finally able to present to you a new addition to my pattern collection – the (late) 12th century tunic pattern which I have been using so successfully for my husbands tunic projects till now:
Well, I admit it, my 12th century tunic pattern is actually based on a tunic found in a royal grave from the early 13th century. Though it can’t be said for sure, my personal opinion is that this pattern can also be counted towards the late 12th century. Due to my love for the 12th century, I decided to count this tunic pattern towards to the late 12th century rather than the early 13th century.
After adding the tablet woven band to the cuffs of my husbands new grey light-wool 12th century tunic, I took on the bottom hem of the tunic and finished it by using the rather simple “rolled hem” technique.
Ok, I admit it – just using the rolled hem technique for the bottom hem seemed a little bit too simple and easy. Therefore I added a little bit of a twist to my rolled hem – literally… *lol*
Cuffs, Cuffs, Cuffs and tablet woven band… 😀
Let’s talk about the cuffs for my husbands christmas present today – a 12th century tunic made from lovely grey light weight wool.
Though I didn’t embroider the cuffs for my sweethearts 12th century tunic, they are still quite special for me as I decorated them with some tablet woven band I made myself – or well, I made about half of it to be precise… *lol*
And it is actually the second tablet woven band I ever made. You might even remember the band – I posted about it in May of 2014: “My new tablet weaving loom & my 2nd try of weaving with tablets 🙂”
And today I have some pictures of my new 14th century cyclas / sideless surcote with the completed “Meridian Cross” appliqué work for you. 🙂
I still didn’t find the time to put on my new 14th century cyclas / sideless surcote and to take pictures of me wearing it but I can assure you that I didn’t forget about it and that it is still on my to-do-list.
And today I finally have some news for you about my most recent project – a grey light-wool 12th century tunic which I just finished some days ago.
This new 12th century tunic is a christmas gift for my husband. As he already had to try on the tunic for the neck-fitting and also has seen the completed tunic, there is not much surprise left which could be spoiled anymore.
I recently managed to finish nearly all of the hand-sewing for my 12th century wedding dress. And after looking at some pictures showing period 12th century clothing, the thought in me arose that it would be really lovely to also have a nice 12th century belt for my 12th century dress ensemble.
I have never made a fabric belt for my 12th century wardrobe before but well, I think there is a first time for everything – it would be boring otherwise, wouldn’t it… 😉
Yeah, it’s true and no typo – I made a 14th century cylas / sideless surcote for me! Or how I call the newest addition to my wardrobe: my 14th century “Meridian Cross Cyclas”! 😀
How come? Well, while I was living in the kingdom of Drachenwald – the SCA group covering Europe, the middle East and South Africa – I wasn’t able to make it to many SCA events. Not that I didn’t want to but quite many of the events were out of my budget due to the required travel to the location in a rather far away country like Sweden, Finland, UK,… Therefore my normal event count per year was about 1 to maximal 5 events per year.
And after the last two postings about my 12th century white silk underdress, there is actually just one last major work step of this project left which I haven’t shown you yet.
Yes, you are right, it is time to take a closer look at how I created the decorated silk buttons for the Trapunto style keyhole neckline of my 12th century white silk underdress. 🙂